From: Lynne Bursky Tammam <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 10:55 AM
Subject: Part I: IRAN UPDATE ON THIS YOM HASHOAH
To: Lynne Bursky Tammam <firstname.lastname@example.org>
This message will be sent in two parts: an update and a current plan of action.
Your calls, your e-mails, your letters, and your activism contributed to the positive development announced yesterday, April 14th. This message will be sent in two parts: an update and what we action can be taken now.
Update on the legislation:
It is true that two aspects of the legislation were amended to mollify Obama, however, its most important aspects were preserved. Israeli Intelligence Minister Yuval Steinitz declared yesterday that Israel was pleased with the compromise deal achieved between the United States Congress and President Obama's Administration. He added that "this law...is a very important element in preventing a bad deal, or at least, in improving the agreement and making it more reasonable."
- Instead of having 60 days to review the legislation, Congress will have 30 days; however, an additional 12 day period was added within which the president would have to decide whether to accept or veto a resolution of disapproval if Congress decided to vote to reject the agreement. Additionally, the review period would also include a maximum period of 10 days within which Congress would have the option to override a veto. In effect, that means that for a maximum of 52 days (30+12+10) after submitting a final agreement and all classified material to Congress, the president would not be able to lift sanctions (NYT, 4/15/15).
- Initially, the bill required the president to certify every 90 days that Iran was no longer supporting terrorism against Americans. If he could not certify this, economic sanctions would be reimposed. The amended bill still requires the president to send reports to Congress on a regular basis which document Iran's activities related to ballistic missiles, and terrorism but new sanctions would not be automatically triggered as a result of those reports(NYT, 4/15/15).
Many are anticipating that there may be no deal in light of Iran's refusal to allow inspection of their nuclear weapon-related technologies, their underground facilities, or their military installations.
Despite the relief we feel at this moment, there are many dangers emanating from Iran's quest for regional domination which includes "the annihilation of Israel" (G-d forbid!):
- Iran is continuing, full-speed ahead, to develop its nuclear weapon delivery system;
- Iran is heavily arming terrorists in the West Bank, a group of whom planned to launch a terrorist attack on Purim. Quoting Iran's Brigadier General Naqdi in 2014, Iran's Fars News Agency, reported that, "Iran was stepping up efforts to arm West Bank Palestinians for battle against Israel," adding that the move would lead to "Israel's annihilation." This is confirmed in the very chilling article below:
- The same General Mohammed Reza Naqdi who said, as the nuclear talks were reaching a conclusion, that "wiping Israel off the map is not up for negotiation" boasted publicly that Iran supplied much of Hamas's arsenal, training, and technical expertise that was exercised during the most recent war with Israel.
- Iran is ominously present on Syria's border with Israel, arming Hezbollah there and in Lebanon for their next attack on Israel. It was reported that Iran may be establishing elements of their nuclear program in Syria (Algemeiner, 3/30/15).
- Terrifyingly, it has been reported that Russia has retracted its hold on the transfer of S-300 missiles to Iran (WSJ, 4/13/15). If these missiles are shipped to Iran within the next 6 months or sooner, Iran will have one of the most advanced anti-missile defense systems in the world. Iran will be able to fire a single battery of missiles at multiple targets flying up to almost 90,000 feet which would make any offensive against Iran far more difficult from the air.
Activist emails sent to my list are L'Ilui Nishmat Yisrael ben David Aryeh ob"m (Izzy - Kaplan) and Howard Chaim Grief great activists and lovers of Eretz Yisroel, Am Yisroel and the Torah. Yehi Zichronum Baruch. May their memories serve as a blessing.
Most of these emails are posted on Shemittahrediscovered.blogspot.com