Shmuel Koenig was told by Rabbi Chaim Dovid Zwiebel, that there will be a meeting of the Rabbanim of the Moetzes Gedolei Hatorah http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agudath_Israel_of_America of America this coming Wednesday June 17th 2009. It is our understanding that on the Agenda will be a discussion of how to respond to Obama's speech.
In case you are unfamiliar with the influence Moetzes Gedolei Hatorah has over the Jewish Population in America, here are some facts which I believe to be true. Feel free to let me know otherwise.
Agudath Yisroel of America has a Washington office.
Agudath Yisroel of America has influence over hundreds of thousands of Chareidi Jews because of their network of thousands of Yeshivoth and Rabbanim throughout America. Major Chinuch and Kiruv Organizations such as the Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation, Aish Hatorah, ARachim, Ohr Sameach, Haklhel determine who and what message they will promote based on decisions of the Moetzet Gedolei Hatorah.
Many of the Rabbanim on the Moetzes Gedolei Hatorah are also members of the Rabbanim affiliated with Torah Umesorah which networks a majority of the Chareidi Schools in America. Torah Umesorah has influence over hundreds of thousands of religious students and their parents.
Major newspapers with very large ciruclations take their cue from Moetzes Gedolei Hatorah especially Yated and Hamodia. Jewish Press to a certain extent.
Mishpacha Magazine, with an extremely wide circulation receives guidance on what and what not to print from Moetzes Gedolei Hatorah in America and in Israel.
Tremendously large sums of monies are raised by Tzedaka Organizations due to the endorsements of the Rabbanim of Moetzes Gedolei Hatorah such as Kupat Hair, Vaad HArabonim, etc.
The staff of Moetzes Gedolei Hatorah of America includes Rabbi Leibish Becker as the Executive Director, Rabbi Chaim Dovid Zwiebel as the Executive Vice President of Government and Public Affairs and Rabbi Shlomo Gertzulin as the Chief Financial Officer.
Please call the Agudah office and ask to speak to Rabbi Chaim Dovid Zwiebel. 1-212-797-9000 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The contact email for Agudah on Wikipedia is email@example.com <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Here are some points you might wish to make:
- Suggest that Rav Eliashiv make a short video to be widely distributed, stating our Jewish entitlement based on Hashem's covenant with Avrahom Yitzchok and Yaakov Avinu in the Torah. Who if not Moetzes Gedolei Hatorah should bring up our Biblical connection? . In this case it will be necessary to post it on the internet in order to make a Kiddush Hashem. All agree that the internet can be used LeToeles and Pikuach Nefesh. We are talking about the lives, homes, families and community of 350,000 Jews living in Yehudah and the Shomron. Obama's speech was broadcasts to the entire world. So was Netanyahu. President Obama raised ideological reasons why Jews may not settle in Judea and Samaria. Only an ideological and theological response will negate the "truths" President Obama raised. A rational approach such as Netanyahus falls on deaf ears and does not negate a Palestinian right to the Land of Israel. The Torah clearly says Ki BeYitzchok Yekareh Lecha Zera. and not through Yishmael as President Obama suggests.
- We are not doing the ARabs a favor by giving up our Sovereignty. Quite the opposite. The Land will not produce for them as is written in the Torah. Proof of this is the before and after of Gush Katif. There is tremendous infighting, violence and terror under Palestinian control. Many Palestinians know that economics, education and health services are much better when Israel has Sovereignty.
- Only Jews have the sacred obligation to keep the Mitzvoth in Eretz Yisroel and this in turn brings peace and prosperity to everyone. If we have the yearning and desire to keep the commandments we would surely say that we require the Land in order to keep our Biblical obligations.
- Failure to speak out for Yehudah and the Shomron shows an unwillingness to leave the exile. Are all the prayers and lectures lipservice?
- AGudah can mobilize hundreds of thousands of caring Jews to show an expression of love for Eretz Yisroel and be an actual partner in Yishuv Haaretz. This will be a tremendous Zikui HaRabim and tikkun Chait HaMiraglim. Silence by the Moetzes Gedolei Hatorah is modeled by hundreds of thousands of Jews who know in their hearts that Eretz Yisroel is ours and don't speak out. This enabled the Gush Katif expulsion
- Davening and Tehilim must be accompanied by serious Hishtadlus just like looking for a job or a shidduch